[wisb] Outing in Oshkosh, Swainsons Thrush

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 11:32:41 -0700 (PDT)

I was going to have my subject line say, "I love the word, 'rare' ",  but that
could've
caused confusion, and frustrating me hoping I saw something uniquely rare.  But
not
being the case, just getting out for 90 minutes was Rare enough for me. I
started at
my favorite cemetery, Sacred Heart, where there wasn't much warbler activity at
all,
just a Magnolia and some unseen peeps from the trees, flycatchers heard or seen
were
the yellow-belly, which is still hanging around there, 2 phoebes and a
kingbird. Downy
and redbelly for woodpeckers.  Relatively bleak.  Next stop, a rarely visited
nature park
at the other side of the airport, along Waukau Rd West, no warblers at all, but
a kingfisher
a great blue heron, a wood duck and another phoebe.  Next and last stop, the
best one, was
up at Campbell Creek, scoring at least 8 Tennessee Warblers, 1 Redstart, 2
Warbling Vireos,
3 chickadees, another GB heron and downy wdp. and a Swainson's Thrush. Not to
mention the
one I heard flying over last night.
  On a sad note, a man who I worked with for 11 years, who had contracts from
all round the
state, and with his travels a lot of my birding was because of that job, has
past away Wednesday.
To name a few places I've been were Rhinelander, Boscobel, Sturgeon Bay,
Marshfield,  Watertown,
Madison, etc.  So you get the gist of the birding I was able to do during the
travels with this
Pipe Organ Company job.  Those were the days.
  But for now, the best of birding to all,
   Paul Bruce, wishing he was back in Iron River
   Oshkosh