[wisb] Orchard Oriole: South Milwaukee

  • From: "" <Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 09:03:11 -0400 (EDT)

Seems to happen in nearly alternating years that the Orchards show up here
in my yard before Baltimore Orioles.  It drank for some time at the
hourglass hummer feeder from which I traditionally remove the bee ports. I did
note a number of low feeding Yellow rumps in the yard this morning, no doubt
due  to chill and the prevalence of clouds of newly hatched low swarming
"gnats".  A couple juncoes remain, but the towhee, thrasher and the  excellent
variety of sparrows who stayed on for a week or more have taken  leave, it
appears.  On another note, a visit to the Bluebird trail at  nearby Grant
Park yesterday showed little BB activity in the nest boxes.   Tree Swallows
have begun very woody nests - lots of sticks and oakleaves -  in a third of the
trail boxes.

Betsy Abert, South Milwaukee