[wisb] Opening Day 2010

  • From: jerry937975@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 20:10:24 -0500

I decided to go further afield then my usual January 1st, due to the
"abundance" of good birds to the north.  I started off at Sheboygan with the
Great Black-backed and Glaucous Gulls followed by the Harlequin.  Had to check
the river mouth 3 times before I finally got the Barrow's, but I got it.  I
headed down to Kohler-Andrae State Park and as Daryl said, there were the
standard field birds.  Driving down 6 Mile Road I came up blank on the Snowies
though I saw a number of Rough-legged Hawks.  The Black-legged Kittiwake was
obliging for me, though I wish I would have spent more time looking at the
other things in the harbor because it seems like I missed a number of birds.
By time I got done photographing the Kittiwake I was frozen.  My theory was
that if I took several hundred shots, I'd get at least one decent one.  Here's
the one that I like the most so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geraldd/4234839813/

I did get several dozen of it sitting in the water too, but thought those
pretty similar to the many photographs already posted.

I shot down to Milwaukee and only worked hard enough to get the Snowy Owl on
the Petroleum Pier and then headed south.  I walked around some of the pines at
Grant and saw two ghosts fly off in front of me.  My thought on the first was a
Goshawk, but never got a decent look at it.  No thought on the second but it
too appeared hawk like.  I then went down to Bong to finish up the day.  My
wife had seen a couple of N. Shrike there a week or so ago, but I missed them
today.  There were several Eastern Bluebirds hanging around the picnic grounds
by the beach.   A couple of Short-eared Owls did put on a distant show about
4:50 for my final bird.  Have to admit, its certainly the highest quality list
I've ever come up with for January 1.

Oh, and I did not get a House Sparrow either!

Jerry DeBoer
Central Racine County