[wisb] Re: Off-topic RFI: chickadee nest question

  • From: "Anne Moretti" <amoretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WISBIRDN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:07:01 -0500

Betsy,

Chickadees use rabbit or other types of fur in their mossy nests to help
insulate their young. I put out fur from my cats every spring for the
chickadees, titmice, nuthatches and orioles. You could use dog fur as well -
the downy undercoat. You might want to place it where the parents could find
it rather than placing it there yourself.

Anne Moretti
Dousman
Waukesha Co.