[wisb] Re: Off Topic, Butterflies and an Identification Dilemma

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jerry937975@xxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:35:50 -0600

Jerry, that's a Variegated Fritillary, an immigrant species from the southern
u.S.  No doubt yours blew north on the same winds that have brought all the Red
Admirals and American Ladies.  But...yours is quite early.  See
http://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/species/63-variegated-fritillary

Mike Reese's butterfly website is THE place for butterfly information and
sighting reports in Wisconsin.  Mike actually has a tally of all the early
records here:

http://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/sightings/early

Report your sightings to Mike's page!  It's lots of fun and the best way to put
your butterfly sightings to good use.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady