[wisb] Odds & ends

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 10:07:31 -0500

The Birch Rd pond is certainly an excellent one currently. As Dave commented
in his post we ran into each other yesterday afternoon. Between the 2 of us
there were 12 shorebird species on the pond!! In addition to what he mentioned
I also had 2 Least sandpipers and a Wilson's Phalarope. As long as the water
holds, this certainly is a pond worth checking!
I checked the Van Patten dikes this morning. The Yellow-headed Blackbirds are
back (at least 5 that I saw). There is a nice variety of ducks on the dikes
plus the flooded field to the north. In the latter there were both yellowlegs
and Killdeer. This spot is between Black Creek and Shiocton.

It was 30 this morning and they say upper 20s tomorrow morning. Ouch. Spring
in Wisconsin!
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI