[wisb] OT: Ash Canyon, AZ birding in peril

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:45:45 -0500

All -

Unfortunately, this is not an April Fool's joke.  With Paul Roisen's
permission, I'm copying this from the Iowa birding listserv.  If, like
me, you've ever been to Mary Jo's to sit and watch her fabulous
hummingbird feeder setup (maybe getting a lifer Lucifer's while you were
there, as I did a couple of years ago,) please send your comments to
Paul directly so he can amass them into a cohesive whole.  Alternately,
if someone on this listserv would be willing to be the compiler for
Wisconsin birders (I'm afraid I'm a little too busy, or I'd do it
myself,) post a message to that effect to WisBirdn (or even if you're
not a WisBirdn member and see this by other means, backchannel me and
I'll post it for you):

Ash Canyon birding (at Ash Canyon Bed and Breakfast Hereford, Arizona)
has been an important stop for birders from all over the world for
approximately 9 years.

  Recently one of the neighbors has filed a request, with the county
commissioners, to end Mary Jo Ballator's right to provide this
incredible birding.  There is a hearing on April 12th which I will attend.

I am asking anyone who has ever birded there or who plans to go there or
who has heard from someone else about this stunning "back yard" of Mary
Jo's to give me some numbers to take to the meeting.

I am trying to compile how many  listserv readers:

Have actually birded there
Plan on birding there
Have heard it is a place to go if in SE Arizona

If you are willing to help out please email me at roisenp1950@xxxxxxxxx
(not to the listserv please) to let me know what numbers you have. I
will speak in my name only, though I will mention my involvement with
the IOU, AND would very much like to include data from our readers.
  God Bless,

Paul Roisen
Sioux City, IA
Woodbury County