[wisb] OS Flycatcher #200 - Biocore Prairie

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:24:34 -0500

I just got back from the Biocore Prairie on Picnic Point, where I easily
found and had nice looks at the Olive-sided Flycatcher, an ABA area life
bird and also my 200th species for Dane County!  I parked in the Frautschi
Point lot and walked out to the Biocore, where the Olive-sided was not found
in the grove of dead trees but in an isolated dead oak a little farther up
the path on the edge of the prairie.  My mom, brother and I enjoyed the bird
with a UW botanist who happened to be nearby for quite awhile, before it
flew off over the prairie.  It was a life bird for all four of us.  Thanks
to Jesse Ellis for posting this sighting, it was almost too easy to find the
bird.  In addition to the Tennessee Warblers, etc., reported by Jesse, I
found a Magnolia and a few others in a small migrant flock near the Big
Oak.
Well, now the bragging is over.  I hope to get out tomorrow morning and see
a few more birds passing though.
Max Witynski,
Madison, Dane