[wisb] Northwoods birding 2/12-2/14 (long)

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:26:33 -0600

The short version is "very slow." I missed all the specialties (Spruce
Grouse, Black-backed Woodpecker, Boreal Chickadee, Gray Jay, and Northern
Goshawk). I usually get at least two of those on a northwoods trip.
Nevertheless there was good birding around feeders and due to the recent
snowfall, the woods are very beautiful. The details:
The trip to Crandon on STH55 through Menominee and Langlade counties was
nearly birdless. Several ravens were seen and a
single Pine Grosbeak was at the end of North Rolling Stone Lake Rd.. The
house with the feeder along the road had lots of chickadees, and a few
nuthatches (both species). No Purple Finches this year.
Crandon had a great platform feeder at the end of Prospect Ave. There were
many redpolls, Pine Siskins, and a few Red Crossbills.
I was working on a very probable Hoary Redpoll when a flock of Starlings
flew into the yard and all the birds left the feeder even
though the Starlings didn't go to the feeder.
CTH O east of Argonne had a small mixed flock of Red and White-winged
Crossbills feeding on the same pine.
Newald had a Cardinal and some Common Redpolls. Alvin had just a few Common
Redpolls (it never has been good in the afternoon when I've been there), and
the Brule River Campground was birdless.
Wednesday I started at Firelane Road northeast of Conover and saw 2 ea.
Red-breasted Nuthatches, White-winged Crossbills, and Black-capped
Chickadees. Land 'O Lakes had Common Redpolls and Pine Siskins and a flock
of larger UFO birds that flew across the road (Crossbills? Waxwings?). That
small town is surprisingly busy and after I pulled over I couldn't locate
the flock.
Phelps had more redpolls at the feeders on CTH E coming into town. I then
proceeded down Blackjack Road to Military Road. It was dead all the way. I
spent 2 hours on FR2043 looking for the birds Mike Duchek had reported, but
all I could find were small flocks of Black-capped Chickadees. I would
advise snowshoes now. There was much more snow than I expected.
Next was the Pine River Bridge and FR2182 which were also dead. I easily
found the debarked trees that Jerry DeBoer had reported and my hopes were up
when I heard a lot of activity and saw some bark chips falling. It was all
being caused by 4 Hairy Woodpeckers and 2 Downy Woodpeckers doing their best
Black-backed impression. I tried the spot again today but found only 1 Hairy
Woodpecker working. Still, since Black-backed Woodpecker has been frequently
reported at the bridge I would continue to check this stand if I was in the
area.
Although the trail was hard to follow, I finally found the boardwalk on the
Giant Pine Wilderness Trail, but saw nothing but
Hairy Woodpeckers along the way and nothing on the boardwalk. By now it was
getting close to sundown, not the best time to bird.
Today I tried the Old A Bog west of Three Lakes and heard Black-capped
Chickadees and Crossbills (White-winged I think), but saw nothing. Birds in
town were very good. I found them on Bonack Loop in town which can be
accessed from the road  that leaves STH 45 next to the Citgo station (I
think it is Winkler). There were dozens of redpolls and Pine Siskins, a few
Pine Grosbeaks and Evening Grosbeaks, and one Cardinal.
I tried the forest roads again before heading home but found nothing.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County