[wisb] Northern Hawk Owl and Woodcock

  • From: "K. Hilary Ford" <khilaryf32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doorcobirding <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 17:28:53 -0500

I have tried to look for the Owl - that has been in Northern Door - for
several days now at various times.  My husband saw it on Hy 42 near the
Lutheran Church Sunday a week ago.  I went one day this last week and
failed to find it but someone posted on doorcobirding it was seen again.
Yesterday, when I went up around the Tower Storage area there are men
building another row of Storage Barns, quite near the Osprey nest tower.
 The owl was nowhere in all the usual places there where it had been seen.
 I also searched the whole area behind and around the Shephered of the Bay
Church and came up blank.

Today there was a lot of bird activity in that area.  Several Meadowlarks
singing,  Lots of C. Grackles and R.W. Blackbirds, though I did not stop to
search for Rusties unfortunately - forgot my binoculars.  A huge Raptor and
several Turkey Vultures - though no sign of the Ospreys in the two times I
have been there lately. Also no sign of the little Owl there or around the
Church.

Last evening as the dusk was settling I went out on our deck to see if the
Woodcock that come here each year were "peenting" and sure enough - what a
great sound.

Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay, Door Co