[wisb] Northern Flicker Southern Kettle Moraine Wauk. Co, some images

  • From: Jim Edlhuber <jimedlhuber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:30:19 -0500

Greetings,

On Thursday I came across a couple of Northern Flickers in a large oak tree
walking out in the Southern Kettle Moraine near Eagle. I knew there could be
a nest close by. I hung a few minutes and then I watched one of them go
towards the middle of the trunk of the tree from a distance and observed the
hole in the tree. I took a few pictures as there was a great place to hide
in some brush. I returned today just to see if anything changed with the
birds and if there young could be seen closer to the nest opening, no luck.
I hope to return at a later date. What a beautiful bird! For the couple of
hours I was there, I also observed Baltimore Orioles, Bluebirds, Kingbirds,
Indigo Buntings and a Hummingbird to name a few.

Link to images of both days if you care to view:

*
https://picasaweb.google.com/109038919513758014473/NorthernFlickerSouthernKettleMoraineWaukCoSomeImages
*

Good birding!