[wisb] North Bay, Door Co.

  • From: "K. Hilary Ford" <khilaryf32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doorcobirding <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:19:39 -0500

North Bay yesterday proved somewhat futile for birding unless one likes to
walk half mile across waterless sandflats carrying a heavy scope and mount!
 I was so surprised how low the water had become at the northern end off
Co. Q, but ever-hopeful I trudged towards the water and counted my steps
back getting to 500 before I got to the car!
A Great Blue Heron was nearby, but quickly flew as I was scoping. 17 Mute
Swans were counted in the distance - some walking in the shallows.
Plentiful Gulls too far to ID and in my scope were 7 - 8 shorebirds but
moved off before I could ID them or see where they landed.  A couple of
Sandhills were on the far shore but nothing else was flying, swimming or
moving on either shore. I was sure hoping for some good birds there but the
Lake is way down from last year!  As I was driving further south I heard an
A. Redstart in the shoreline trees, and fortunately the water was higher in
that area.

Nothing seemed to be out on the lake however except the odd gull loafing on
a rock.  At Bues Point other than gulls nothing was on the Lake - no
waterfowl, no raptors - nada!

The Osprey(s) still perch occasionally on the Towers, E. Bluebirds have
finished their nesting.  At the Ellison Bay beach the day before we sat for
a while and had a Kildeer and several N. Roughwing Swallows fly over, but
no waterfowl at all in the Bay.
There are several aggressive Humming birds at our two feeders, and the
usual at the seed feeders: Hairy, Red-Bellied, and occasional Pileated WPs.
Blue-jays have returned since I started the Marvel Meal instead of suet.

I am confused with some neat-looking Sparrows, though I know the young
Chipping has a faintly striped front, and there are Chipping Adults still -
though they also  raised a Cowbird earlier this summer.  These are real
skulkers - afraid of their shadows and run into the junipers so quickly.
 They have flattish heads like Savannahs, pink legs, blackish eyestripes
and indistinct eyerings. Longish tails with brown tail feathers bordered by
buffy outlines.

I will try and get my husband to photograph them - but we have been pretty
inundated with his recovering from replacement knee surgery the last four
weeks.

Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay, Door County