[wisb] Nocturnal sound ID (MP3 link)

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:41:49 -0600

I went for a walk tonight in the woods behind my place here in Waukesha.  Got
back an hour or so so this was around 7 PM.  Along the way I heard the most
unusual sound in the woods around a small pond near the field.  Whatever it was
was pretty close to me but not knowing what it was I decided not to approach
just in case.  I brought my camera and recorded video so I could save the
audio, which I did.  I debated whether to post, but I was listening to some
sounds on the Macaulay Library web site and heard a similarity to some samples
from a certain species (don't want to bias any responses or incur any ridicule
in case I'm way off base) so I figured I might as well post and see what people
think.  My apologies if it turns out to be something else.

Here is a link to an MP3 (very small file don't worry).  I would highly
recommend headphones.  It's 3 samples each separated by some silence.

Sound was a very continuous "chatter" sort of going up and down in pitch.

If the link doesn't work please let me know.

http://tinyurl.com/ydm82l2

Thanks a lot to anyone who listens.  Appreciate ANY response and then I can
tell you what I thought and send links to the samples it sounded similar to.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.