[wisb] No. Kettle Moraine & Horicon today (quiet)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 19:42:45 -0500

I had to be in Oshkosh last night and this morning, so poked around a bit on my
way home this afternoon.  I stopped for a hike on the Zillmer Trails in the No.
Kettle Moraine St. Forest in Fond du Lac Co.  Sadly, there was a timber sale
and the first part of the trail looks rather like a tornado went through (used
to be a nice stretch of dense pines that I really enjoyed hiking through.)  The
trail still had a few snowy stretches.  Whether due to the timbering activity
or it being just a bit early, there weren't many birds.  I did hear one Eastern
Meadowlark singing out in the open fields to the east, but then some heavy
equipment started up out there and that was the end of that.   Everything else
I heard or saw was common or resident stuff.

I swung by Horicon - went out to the end of Ledge Rd. and poked around a bit by
Bud Cook Hiking Area, but again, just common stuff.  I did kick up a Vesper
Sparrow along Ledge just east of W. Point Rd. (my only FOY today.)  Only other
sparrows around that I could find were lots of Songs and a few lingering Am.
Trees.   My mom still has tons of Juncos in her Oshkosh yard, but her Am.
Goldfinches are getting very yellow!

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.