[wisb] Nine Springs Ponds, Madison, Dane Co

  • From: Paul van Ginkel <prvangin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:56:45 -0500

Yesterday at around 5:30-6PM the Spotted Towhee gave some great looks at the
same location as noted before along the bike path. I arrived at the location at
around 4PM and hung around for a while without seeing the bird. At some point I
clearly heard the song of an Eastern Towhee (Drink your tea) from across the
road. At 5:30 the bird suddenly flew in when a group of us were standing there
watching the shrubbery from what seemed like behind us so possibly from the
same location a heard the eastern towhee song from an hour earlier.
When going online I came across a website of a Minnesota birder talking about
hybrids
(http://dantallmansbirdblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/eastern-vs-spotted-towhee.html)
 and interestingly it mentions a spotted towhee having the song of a Eastern.
Even though I did not see the spotted towhee singing (only giving an ‘angry
call when right in front of us’), this info could be of interest for further
discussion/consideration of the hybrid or not status of the bird.

On the third pond there were a few ring necked ducks, blue winged teals and a
horned grebe.

Paul van Ginkel
Madison, WI