[wisb] Nine Springs (Dane Co.) today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 21:09:15 -0500

I spent about an hour and a half at the Nine Springs ponds this afternoon.
There was a nice little sparrow flock feeding along the bike path by the
entrance woods, with a couple of Am. Trees, Fox and Songs, along with a lone
House Sparrow (which the Songs would chase away!)  On the way back out, there
was a singing White-throat there as well.  Also picked up my FOY Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, although I may have heard one in my yard this morning.

Not a lot of variety on the ponds - good numbers of both Teal and Shovelers,
plus Mallards, was it for ducks, and the only shorebirds besides Killdeer were
a few Greater Yellowlegs (FOY.)  I had seen a few scattered Tree Swallows low
over the water, but while checking out a soaring raptor, I realized there were
dozens of Tree Swallows higher up.  There was a decent raptor movement, with
lots of Turkey Vultures, a pair of No. Harriers, and a couple of Red-tails -
second one appeared to be a migrant, and was accompanied briefly by a Kestrel.

Earlier, I had briefly checked Lake Waubesa from the Lake Farm boat landing.
Briefly, because the wind was off of the lake and I wasn't adequately dressed
for it.  There really wasn't much to see anyway - three Common Loons (FOY), a
bunch of Coots and a few Pied-billed Grebes and Buffleheads.  As cold as it
was, I will not be terribly disappointed if we get rained out on tomorrow's
scheduled field trip, as the lakeshore path will be very unpleasant with a
strong northeast wind (and probably not very birdy,) and scoping the lake will
be difficult.  If you do come, dress very warmly, including winter gloves.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.