[wisb] Nighthawks

  • From: <charir@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdnet" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 20:31:03 -0500

A call from some friends this evening sent me hurrying to the "Potato Dock".
They didn't know what the birds were that were wheeling  around above them.
What they were watching were a flock of 25-30 Nighthawks.  They were
wheeling around the same area for maybe 15-20 minutes and appeared to be
feeding.  Then suddenly they were gone and were replaced by a large flock of
gulls who were definitely catching something in the air.  I hadn't seen this
many nighthawks in one spot in years.  What a thrill for me and especially
my friends who had never seen nighthawks in the air.

It's been a slow week in the yard.  I did have a northern waterthrush
wandering around on the deck earlier in the week and a young Rose breasted
grosbeak in the birdbath.  The redstarts are still here and we have loads of
goldfinches emptying the feeders daily.  Other than that and a few more
usual suspects it's very quiet.

Chari Rutledge

Washington Island

Door County