[wisb] Nicolet NF/Alvin this AM

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 12:15:02 -0500

Came up this weekend but decided to stay the first night at the Brule River
Campground.  This morning I woke up there to a strange pik noise.  As I tried
to figure out what it was it seemed to be something moving quickly in the
treetops.  Briefly saw what appeared to be a medium sized bird (still fairly
dark then) but never found out what it was, but it didn't sound like a hairy or
downy and it didn't sound like the red squirrels either which were everywhere
as well.  Around then I saw something black walking around further down the
loop.  I thought it was odd that I hadn't seen or heard a dog there last night
(two other campsites were occupied) and quickly realized it was a black bear,
which continued along to the river, at which point I heard a big splash.  It
looked like he probably crossed the river and kept right on going.  Some time
later, I heard a group of noisy birds come up.  Among them I found two blue
jays and then found several gray jays as well, which then separated from the
group and moved from campsite to campsite, at one point one perching on my
coffee pot.  They came back once before flying off across the river (3, maybe 4
birds).  Other notable birds were a red crossbill flyover, a golden-crowned
kinglet and cranes somewhere along the river. At Alvin there were maybe 5
evening grosbeaks at a feeder on 4th St. along with a swarm of hummingbirds. I
wasn't up for too much else this morning but stopped to check out a few other
campgrounds I had never seen before.  The most intriguing of them was Laurel
Lake campground, which looked like it could be worth a stop in the winter.
-Mike Duchek, currently Bradley, Lincoln Co.