[wisb] New raptor migrants, plus many new non-raptors up north with pictures! (St. Louis Co., MN & Ashland Co., WI)

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:46:55 -0500

I counted raptors this past Thursday and Friday here in Duluth, and had some
good flights of raptors coming through. In addition to the many raptors
tallied (899 on Thursday and 605 on Friday), there have been several new
arrivals over the past few days. Below are my two biggest days of hawk
counting so far. The first of two days I had 333 raptors come by in the one
hour peak of migration for the day. It was crazy!! Also, two Tree Swallows
and 24 Tundra Swans were observed. On Friday, two new-to-the-area sightings
include two COMMON LOONS and a single NORTHERN FLICKER... the
new-to-the-area raptor sighting on Friday included an OSPREY! Oh and on
Wednesday, 14 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS made an appearance.
Thursday's count
https://www.hawkcount.org/day_summary.php?rsite=543&ryear=2011&rmonth=04&rday=07

Friday's count
https://www.hawkcount.org/day_summary.php?rsite=543&ryear=2011&rmonth=04&rday=08

Below are the bird pictures...
Red-tailed Hawk - adult Krider's x typical Eastern race integrade
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133794374

Red-tailed Hawk - adult dark morph Western race
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133794375

Red-tailed Hawk - adult Eastern Race
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133792696

Sandhill Crane
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133792698

Turkey Vulture coming head on, in a thermal
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133792699

Cooper's Hawk
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133794372

Osprey
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133794373

I spent some time in Ashland, WI, Friday night. I took a walk around the
beautiful Northland College campus during my brief visit there, and found
this one EASTERN PHOEBE . I hope the little guy will be able to find enough
food up here!
Eastern Phoebe:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133802433

While driving from Ashland back to Duluth yesterday morning, I saw 2 BELTED
KINGFISHERS fly over the road! I'm thinking that this upcoming week could be
very good for raptor movements, as well as potentially some new passerine
movements as well.

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Bird photography and guided birdwatching tours
www.pbase.com/birdfedr