[wisb] New Berlin Rec Trail - Waukesha County

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 21:01:43 -0500

Shorebird habitat continues to improve in the ponds along the New Berlin
Rec Trail between Calhoun and Springdale Roads.  This evening I had mostly
the same species as before, but numbers are gradually increasing, including
three PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, a species I hadn't seen there. A lone AMERICAN
COOT and a lone GREEN-WINGED TEAL in eclipse plumage are hanging out with
the forty or so Mallards. I struggled to find passerines that weren't CEDAR
WAXWINGS or Starlings. I think all of Waukesha County's CEWAs are there!
Four swallow species are common, and I'm guessing Banks are there, but I
just didn't see one. Numbers are well over 300 for total swallows. The only
warbler I found was YELLOW WARBLER, with three males still singing along
the train tracks before sunset.  Are these guys possibly still defending
nesting territories from a second brood? I hadn't heard a warbler song in
about a month! OH!... and I also had an Empidonax flycatcher I couldn't ID.
 It kept chirping, but not a vocalization I could put a finger on.  It had
quite the yellow hue to its "white" parts, and looked to have a full
eye-ring, but the look I had was a bit too fleeting to put it down as a
Yellow-bellied though.
http://ebird.org/ebird/wi/view/checklist?subID=S11350272

Cheers!

Tim Hahn