[wisb] Nelson's Gull (Glaucous X Herring), Milwaukee 2/16/13

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:15:11 -0600

I spotted another interesting gull yesterday on the ice on the KK River just
where it joins the Milwaukee River.  Scanning the flock, at first I thought
Kumlien's or Thayer's, from my first impression of the wingtips which were
half-hidden behind another gull.  Studying it more, especially when it stood
and moved forward, I realized it was too big for either, looking bigger than
the HERGs around it, with a hefty bill.  The mantle appeared slightly
lighter than any of the HERGs.  The wingtips had extensive white with
markings that were charcoal gray rather than black.  Underside of far wing
at rest looked mostly pale.  A barge came along and sent hundreds of gulls
into the air, allowing me to get a look at this bird in flight.  The wings
were broad, with very little in the way of dark markings on the wingtips.

Photos here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjE1Abfe

This is my third hybrid gull this winter.  They really keep you thinking and
observing carefully.

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee