[wisb] Re: Mystery bird (duck) of the week, Forest Co

  • From: Sharon Reilly <reillyhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:49:49 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

My input - maybe this is a male mallard in eclipse plumage. But if so it is
either a bit early or a very late moult.

As pointed out already there is quite a bit of white in the speculum. Bill is
yellow"ish" with black along the culmen. Also the posture is an alert pose.
Ducks in moult are more vulnerable if they are flightless at the time.

Sharon, Sauk County