[wisb] Re: Mystery Migration Bird(s)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: plb19485@xxxxxxxxx, Wisconsin Birding <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 20:18:05 -0500

Looks like a Common Grackle in your photos, Phil.  This time of year, there are
large mixed flocks of Grackles and various species of blackbirds (mostly
Red-winged, but usually with some Rusties and Brewers, probably a few BH
Cowbirds, too) flying over my neighborhood most mornings and late afternoons,
on their way to and from their roosts in the wetlands south of Madison.  If you
went down to Lake Farm Park or the Waubesa Wetlands in the early evening, you'd
see and hear thousands of blackbirds in the trees.

Peter Fissel
Southeast side of
Madison, Dane Co.