[wisb] My sod farm excursions are back!!

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:02:38 -0800 (PST)

     .......but of course this means for winter birds only.  (we could only
wish for a winter record blackbellied plover, et al. if that would ever
happen!)   Hi, everyone,  had a good time out anyway. Got mostly the
standard stuff and a couple real good things.  The best of the 2 happened at a
very busy feeder  south on Center Rd.  where there were about a dozen
cardinals, juncos, chickadees, Hairy &  Downy  woodpeckers.....and.....what
rhymes with  kicker ?    FLICKER* !!!!   Didn't have to see but it called
keeer,  keeer  a few times, that was my highlight for the morning.  The other
decent sightings elsewhere were Roughleg hawks*,2,  and a pished out
golden-crowned kinglet*, along with juncos and chickadees.  My last stop was
good, too.  Roadside feeders included all juncos and tree sparrows*.  One of
the juncos, a very brown Oregon phase, was so brown, I kid you not,  was as
rufous as a towhees flanks.  Targets missed
 were RB nuthatch, horned larks, snow buntings, turkeys, Oh !  saw some
pheasant tracks out on Shady Lane, which also means no SE owls either. ( I
seriously don't no how I got stuck on the italics mode here, but we'll have to
ride it out to the end.)  All in all it wasn't a washout.  Saw Black squirrels
too, in some of the residential areas, that's always a treat. Saw or heard more
Hairys than Downys, how's that?  No winter finches here either, not even any
goldfinches !!!  Just house finches that's all.  Otherwise you may've guessed
that the other half is back in school, so I'll have this freedom for maybe 8
weeks, I'll see.
     Gaiining *4 species for the month, is Paul Bruce,
     Oshkosh, up in Appleton.