[wisb] My First Year as a Wisconsin Birder

  • From: "Mikko Home" <mikko.viljamaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birders" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:38:36 -0600

This same text with the latest photos is attached to my homepage. All the best
for everyone for 2011. May the coming year bring to you whatever you are
looking for.
http://www.mikkoviljamaa.us/latest.html

My first year as a Wisconsin birder is ending. Since first taking out the old
Leicaâ??s in March I have seen 193 species. Not that the number is that
important to me (those days are way behind me) but at some point I thought that
a round number like 200 would be a nice number to end the first year.

And 200 would have easily been reachable. I missed a lot of Sparrows and
Warblers during the early part of summer when I didnâ??t (want to) wake up
early enough. And lately I have been too busy to drive to Lake Michigan on
Weekends and therefore I have not yet managed to seen any Loons or Scooters
either. So Iâ??m assuming that the 200-milestone will soon come and I hope that
the 200th bird is a real nice one - like maybe a Snowy Owl would be a pretty
cool one for the 200th... BTW I went to my old notebooks from Finland and my
200th bird in Finland was a Little Tern (7/31/1998).

And I did spend much more time taking photos from birds than with a scope
panning the landscape trying to find something new. As a matter of fact Iâ??m
actually surprised how important photographing became to me. Having a busy year
in the work and trying to get my second degree at the same time has been
exhausting and standing outside with the camera has been the offset I have
needed. I often tell how happy Iâ??m to just find time to go somewhere with the
camera. I donâ??t even need to push the shutter once and I feel relaxed and
happy when I come back.

Cheers,

Mikko