[wisb] Mud Lake early morning birding (Columbia)

  • From: "John Feith" <feith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdnet" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:06:48 -0500

I had a tiny bit of a warbler migration at Mud Lake. 2 CANADA WARBLERS & 2
WILSON'S WARBLER, along with maybe 3 MAGNOLIA WARBLERS and a TENESSEE
WARBLER. One of the Maggies was doing a very good HOODED WARBLER
impersonation. The singing MOURNING WARBLER could be a breeder there.

The rest were breeding birds. Highlights include:
a couple of YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS
AMERICAN BITTERN singing very early only (before sunrise)
many SORA RAILS
one VIRGINIA RAIL
HOODED MERGANSER
COMMON MOORHEN
VEERY

and only a couple of mosquito bites! that will change very quickly after
these rains...so enjoy your marsh birding now!

didn't hear any KING RAILS (I never have) as some people have reported. I'm
not sure what is the most diagnostic King Rail sound in Wisconsin...I ran
into John Romano yesterday and he says the constant "Kick" sound, if
repeated for a very long time, comes from a King Rail and not a Virginia
Rail. Well, I barely even heard 1 Virginia Rail...maybe 4am is not early
enough.

John