[wisb] More Columbia County birds

  • From: James Schwarz <jfschwar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 19:15:58 -0500

As mentioned earlier, my wife and I went birding today.
Our first goal was to find the Snowy Owls near DeForest. We found only one just
north of Mueller Road along Portage Road. For the record, this is actually
still inside Dane County.

From there we headed the short distance north into Columbia, stopping first at
the Harvey Road and Wandgness Road ponds. It was nice to see a large number of
mostly geese there. Most were Canada geese but also there were Greater
White-fronted and Cackling Geese. During the short time there we only saw a
Wigeon and a couple of Green-winged Teal for ducks. There were 8 Killdeer
around the muddy areas. This looks good for shorebirds that hopefully come
soon. A majority of birds were in flooded fields east of Harvey Road. We did
not take time to scope. There may have been as many as 1000 birds in the area.

We went north on Harvey Road to the Hwy 60 ponds. There were around 1000 birds
in those ponds. A single Snow Goose, several Northern Pintail and Redheads were
in the east pond. The west pond had Wood Ducks. Both ponds had good numbers of
Cackling geese and Greater White-fronted Geese.

Since we were in the area, we decided to drive past Goose Pond. As expected
there was not much to see because the thick ice, as reported earlier. But as we
looked at the "few" Canada Geese along the east edge of the east pond. While
looking at the geese, a Bald Eagle flew in scaring hundreds of ducks and geese
out the grass and flooded field we had not noticed. So I guess if you want to
see a lot of birds at Goose Pond a trained Bald Eagle would be helpful. Or you
could try to get a better view from Kemper Road.
We also enjoyed seeing our first Eastern Meadowlark today. It was singing along
Kemper Road west of Goose Pond Road.

Several other flooded fields in Columbia County looked good for shorebirds. One
that has been good in past years is near the intersection of County Hwys K and
I. (not far from Goose Pond)

Good Birding.

Jim Schwarz
Madison, Dane Co