[wisb] Mockingbird, etc

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:56:45 -0500

I spent several early hours this morning checking out the Shiocton
area.  The dikes on Van Patten Rd are open, plus the fields to the
north are also flooded.  12 species of ducks were in here, plus a few
Canada Geese, a Pied-billed Grebe and a flock of 125 Tundra Swans
that flew over while I was there.  State Rd runs north from Hwy 54
with Brandt Rd going to the right, and then a deadend road branching
to the left.  On this latter road there was a variety of ducks at the
end by the swamp.  As I started back a Northern Shrike was working an
area near a home.  A little further on a N. Mockingbird came out of
some conifers, crossed in front of me and continued on to the south,
a real surprise!
On Lower River Rd that extends north from Hwy 54 west of Shiocton, a
Phoebe was calling in the swamp and about 20 Fox Sparrows were
feeding along the shoulder of the road (both FOY).  A little farther
east hundreds upon hundreds of Canada Geese were feeding in the
fields.  It took some careful looking but a single Ross's and Snow
were among them.  On the shoulder and adjacent field 100 Lapland
Longspurs were feeding.

Curiously I have seen more N. Shrikes this month than all of the
winter.  Also in my yard, the redpolls left on Monday while the pair
of siskins are still present.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI