[wisb] Misc. Waukesha Co. ID help, etc...

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:06:58 -0500

Just some belated ID help request and minor reportage from Waukesha Co.

I went to Kettle Moraine South last Saturday to the Scuppernong Ski/Hiking
Trail.  There was a fair amount of activity, but did not see warbler #s I'd
seen earlier in the month.  But the forest vegetation was so grown that it was
pretty hard to see a lot that a few weeks ago would have been more visible.

I did at one point though have a hawk swoop onto a limb in the forest
(medium-sized and stocky, not scrawny).  Got a brief look at it and I'm still
learning hawks but think I know what it was.  The predominant colors were a
darker sootier brown and white and as the bird flew off the tail appeared
fanned and had a thick single solid stripe.  It soon flew off, attacked by a
blue jay if I recall.  Can't remember now whether it was a dark or light band,
but my guess is that it was a broad-winged hawk.  Does that sound right?

Also had this bird:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2822043050059461204cosDHy

I only saw it through some brush and never got a good look, but is this good
enough to say veery?  No apparent contrast between tail/body, overall
rufous/brown and no extensive spotting.

Finally had a group of these way up high in the canopy on the trail.  I could
not get a close look but thought I saw a black necklace at one point on one of
them.  Can anyone ID by sound?  Very short clip and the call is in the last
couple seconds (you won't be able to see anything in the video).  It is kind of
a few repeated sounds followed by a quick buzz and that is it.  Any ideas?
Probably something easy but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzFShoNHorM

Also of note (or maybe not?) was a pileated woodpecker.  I notice some range
maps show them absent from SE Wisconsin but there seem to be plenty of
sightings in eBird of them there.  Are they just really localized in SE
Wisconsin or are they much less common than in elsewhere in the state?

As a bonus, here's a video I took in our woods of some blue jays dive-bombing a
poor great horned owl.  My view was always obstructed as you'll see, but it
looks like this is likely one of the juveniles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKkJeJUxcGU

By the way, some interesting articles on cougars lately.  Several cougar
sightings this year already and one just killed a cow for the first time in 100
years or so.  The DNR is apparently making plans for their eventual "return" to
WI.  As for the cow-killing cougar, they are talking about euthanizing it, but
personally I hope it slips away.

http://tinyurl.com/297ogom (Wis. State Journal article)

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/94219264.html (Mil. JS article on cow
killing)

And black bear sightings are on the rist in SW Wisconsin:

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id98

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.