[wisb] Milwaukee gulls Saturday

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 20:37:47 -0800 (PST)

I went over to Milwaukee today with Steve Thiessen and the two Jims (Otto and
Schwarz) to look for gulls.  We stopped for a little while on Stoney Creek Rd.
in Jefferson Co., but did not find the Harris's Sparrow.  (There weren't any
sparrows along the road, although there were quite a few Juncos back in west of
the road.)  A pair of Tufted Titmice were at the feeders at the house farther
north on the east side of the road.

In Milwaukee, South Shore Yacht Club and the Texas Ave. overlook had nothing
out
of the ordinary, nor did we see much from under the bridge.  We crossed over
and
drove back under the bridge to check the river.  From the Riptide restaurant
area, we saw an adult Glaucous Gull right away, and later had a Thayer's and an
adult Lesser Black-backed on the river ice.  Looking out from the river mouth,
we had an adult Iceland (narrow gray primary tips) to the north on the ice.
Ducks at all of these locations were limited to the common divers and a handful
of Mallards. We decided to hike out to Lakeshore St. Park, but only had common
ducks and gulls there.  We had been lucky up to that point, but around noon the
snow picked up as we hiked out past the Discovery Center and it became more
challenging.  After a quick check of Bradford Beach, we gave up on scoping the
lake, since visibility was getting bad.  None of us had ever been to
Havenwoods,
so we decided to stop for a hike there.  Didn't see much, unfortunately - of
the
six species we had, a Kestrel was the highlight.  Also had a couple of deer run
across the trail in front of us.

At least we had a productive morning, with six species of gulls - couldn't come
up with a GBB, unfortunately.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI