[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront/Lake Park - Lesser Black-backed Gull

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 22:59:00 -0500

I spent the day birding along the lakeshore in Milwaukee at North Point and
Bradford Beach, as well as in nearby Lake Park netting 60 species for the
day. Birding along the lake was slow, although a fly-by Osprey and a loon
of some sort did make an appearance. A few shorebirds were on the algae
mats at the NP Snack Bar, including Sanderling and Semipalmated Sandpipers
and Plovers.
Lake Park was far more birdy, with 14 species of warblers hanging out in
the ravines. A WILSON'S, a handful of NORTHERN WATERTHRUGH, and gobs of
MAGNOLIAs were the highlights. The first-winter female plumaged Magnolia
seemed to dominate the park, as these birds were everywhere. A very cool
plumage if you ask me. Also of note in the park were a YELLOW-BILLED
CUCKOO, a GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH, a couple LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, and a good
number of RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS that seemed to have established mini
territories amongst the Jewel Weed in the ravines.

The bird of the day was probably a full adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL that
snuck onto the beach late in the afternoon as a few of us birders were
chatting. It hung out with the resident gulls for a few minutes and then
moved south and out of view.  I've included a link of the pic I took below.
It seems to have a defect with its bill/tongue, but it's hard to make out
what is actually going on. I believe Jym Mooney has a better shot of this
bird and it's weird deformity if anyone is interested.

I plan to be back at the lake to see what tonight's migration brings in. A
few friends will be accompanying me this time, and any more are welcome to
join us!

Cheers!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123643559@N05/15097559177/

Tim Hahn