[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 4/9/11 - One new BIGBY species, and lotsa Phoebes

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:07:40 -0700 (PDT)

Today I checked out the area at North Point that has the stinky algae mats in
summer. I figure I'll start to see some migrant shorebirds there in the near
future. One thing I've noticed is a fair amount of foot traffic right on the
shoreline in this area, including a couple of people with dogs. Made me realize
that the stinky algae serves a purpose...it keeps people off the rocky beach
there, so the shorebirds can have their privacy. So, I guess we need more
algae, and warmer weather so the algae can get a little ripe. :-)

Bird highlights:

* Northern Flicker. Two on the lawn north of Bradford Beach. 2011 BIGBY species
#104.

* Many Eastern Phoebes. 15-20 in a small area north of Bradford Beach. Some
were actually out at the water's edge hawking insects in the sand,

* Eastern Bluebird. One beautiful male.

* Brown Creeper.

* Double-crested Cormorant. Eleven off of Bradford Beach.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee