[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 4/27-28 – Nine new 2011 BIGBY species!!

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:52:26 -0700 (PDT)

While the weather hasn’t exactly been spring-like, the last two days have
started to seem like spring as far as migration is concerned. I’ve even started
to pick up some shorebird species!

I went birding in the rain on Wednesday and pretty much had the whole lakefront
to myself. Lots of interesting birds…maybe because there were no people or dogs
out to scare the birds away. I had six new 2011 BIGBY species on the day.
(What’s a BIGBY? See: http://bit.ly/h8txmm).

* Barn Swallow. At least a half dozen birds foraging just offshore of Veterans
Park. 2011 BIGBY species # 115.

* Semi-palmated Sandpiper. Two birds. They were being harassed by a gull.
McKinley Beach. 2011 BIGBY species # 116.

* Common Tern. Two birds. McKinley Beach. Some gulls were being rather rude
towards them. 2011 BIGBY species # 117.

* Harlequin Duck. One female off of Bradford Beach. 2011 BIGBY species # 118.
Only the second or third time I’ve ever seen a Harlequin in my life, so it was
pretty cool!!

* Surf Scoter. Near the Harlequin. 2011 BIGBY species # 119.

* Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. Working the brush just north of Bradford Beach. I’m
always excited to see these birds for the first time each spring!! 2011 BIGBY
species # 120.

And here are today’s new BIGBY birds:

* Least Sandpiper. Foraging in some of the algae on the shoreline at North
Point. 2011 BIGBY species # 121.

* Spotted Sandpiper. Same location as Least Sandpiper. Funny...I’ve seen my
share of Spotted Sandpipers in the past, but this is the first time I’ve ever
actually seen one with SPOTS!  I guess this is the first one I’ve seen in
breeding plumage. Now I understand why they are called “Spotted” Sandpipers.
:-)  2011 BIGBY species # 122.

* Palm Warbler. Working the brush just north of Bradford Beach. The warm yellow
colors and the chestnut crown really warm my heart after a long winter! 2011
BIGBY species # 123.

A few non-BIGBY highlights from Wednesday:

* My first three-swallow day of the year: Tree, Barn, Northern Rough-wing. All
in one flock.

* Quite a few Caspian Terns. Fourteen birds hanging out with gulls on the south
lawn of Lakeshore State Park (LSP). And there were terns flying all along the
lakefront from LSP to North Point.

* Thirteen Blue-winged Teal foraging on the big lawn in Veterans Park, along
with geese and gulls. Seven males, six females. They looked really out of place
away from the water. And they walk funny...the term “duck out of water” does
come to mind.

* Maybe ten Ruddy Ducks scattered along the lakefront.

* Still a few Scaups hanging around. Maybe a couple dozen, compared to the
thousands that spent the winter.

* Still some Buffleheads, mostly off of North Point.

* Red-breasted Mergansers seem to be the most common duck species right
now...75+ birds at least.

* Horned Grebe numbers are down.

* Two Savannah Sparrows were singing in the rain at LSP. Wondering if they
breed there?

* A male Eastern Towhee was foraging in the rocks at North Point. Seemed like
unlikely habitat for this bird. But I got lots of good close-up looks.

* A male Eastern Bluebird was singing in a tree on the lawn north of Bradford
Beach. The weather was gray and dreary, with drizzle. But somehow the bluebird
was a vivid cheerful blue, almost like it was lighted from within. Really made
my day!!

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee