[wisb] Might want to read this

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:34:10 -0800 (PST)

   I have real no good subject line today, but if I had one, it would be
"Chilly Morning, Hot Results''.   I did the Shady Lane run, as per Wednesday,
and wow!  the actiion.  Right away alongside the road stuff was flyin' back and
forth, landing in the open patch of frosted black earth. Maybe about a dozen
horned larks AND ~100 LAPLAND LONGSPURS !!!!  I was in longspur heaven.  The
road was carless the whole time there, so I rolled down the window, turned off
the engine and watched and listened to the show in front of me.  Some were up
on the shoulder at real good viewing range, most of them in winter plumage,
barely turning into summer. A lot of tickety-tew going on, plus some soft short
warbles. I even tried pishing at them, but to no avail, they could care less
about that goofball in the car.  Then much later on over by the Medina Jct. Rd.
area, a surprise male HARRIER made an appearance.  Watched that for a good 30
seconds before it
 took to the ground behind a hedgerow. Then as I truned on to Shady Lane east,
my windows down I heard what sounded like a flicker in the tree stand near the
corner, stopped the car and the NO. FLICKER flew outta there heading in a
NORTHward direction, sound nice?   Not done yet,
  I stopped at the feeding station along Center Rd. and there was action
aplenty there too. All repeats except for the ROBIN that flew in front of me,
cackling as it flew.  BUT,  there was a blue jay there that made the ODDEST
sound I've heard yet. A low, dry ratchety crackly call, sounding much like a
cricket/frog.  Anybody  ever hear a blue jay  do this before?   And the last
stop made was back up by Winnigamie Rd, ( the sod farm stretch)
  Saw RB Woodpecker, downy, WB nuthatch, chickadee and turkey tracks, lots of
'em. Plus some other tracks unIDable, some small mammals, canine or feline,
that is.
       Makes me wonder what's in store for me tomorrow at Bubolz.  Gained 14
species for the month this a.m.
      Paul Bruce, Oshkosh/ Appleton