[wisb] Middleton Warblers

  • From: "Mike McDowell" <birder@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:12:17 -0500

Greetings Wisconsin birders,

This morning I birded the creek corridor section of Pheasnt Branch
Conservancy between Park Street and Parmenter Street (Middleton) with Jesse
Peterson and Chuck Henrikson. We observed a major influx of YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLERS that hit the woods sometime around 8:30AM (must have been hundreds
of them). Along with the flock we found a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER,
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, and 2 PINE WARBLERS. There was also a WATERTHRUSH,
but I'm not sure which species because I only had chip-notes to go on
(probably a LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH given the date). Other birds included
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, HERMIT THRUSH, CHIPPING SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED
SPARROWS, WOOD DUCKS, NORTHERN FLICKER and more. Most of the warblers were
foraging on the ground because of the strong winds and cold temperature.

Mike

Mike McDowell
Madison - Dane County
birder@xxxxxxx