[wisb] Middleton Airport Birds - Bobolinks

  • From: Mike McDowell <birder@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 10:20:07 -0500

Curt Caslavka and I scouted the fields at Middleton Municipal Airport
this morning ahead of the Madison Audubon field trip scheduled there
for this Saturday at 8:30AM. We found around 50 BOBOLINKS, close to 30
EASTERN MEADOWLARKS, and dozens upon dozens of SAVANNAH SPARROWS. We
thought we heard a DICKCISSEL far off (I know there are some along
Deming Way right now). Other birds on the property included EASTERN
KINGBIRD, WILLOW FLYCATCHER, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, YELLOW WARBLER,
WARBLING VIREO, and some GREEN HERONS.

If you're planning to attend this Saturday, you should:

* Bring drinking water.
* Bring insect repellent.
* Wear long pants.
* Wear waterproof hiking boots.

The field trip will provide a rare opportunity to see an impressive
concentration of Bobolinks and other grassland bird species. I think
it's cool there's a place so close to town where they are flourishing
like this. Thanks goes out to Middleton Public Lands, Richard Morey
(Airport Manager), and Curt for getting permission  for us to lead a
field trip on this interesting property!

Email me if you have any questions.

Hope to see you there!

Mike M.

Mike McDowell