[wisb] Merrill Varied Thrush, Ashland Snowy Owl

  • From: Edward Keyel <dolichovespula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:06:41 -0600

Hi everyone,

I went up to Ashland for the weekend.  On my way up, I swung by Buena
Vista.  Had some Snow Buntings, Lapland Longspurs and Horned Larks, as
well as 2 Northern Shrikes.  Otherwise, it was really quiet.
Continuing my way north, I stopped outside of Merrill to look for the
male Varied Thrush that Dan Belter had reported earlier.  Dick Martin
(homeowner) was extremely nice and invited me into his house for the
45 min wait we had for the bird to show up, which it did!  Very nice
bird, but it never really wanted to stay in the light (although, still
better pics of a Varied Thrush than I'd had before!).  As I arrived in
Ashland, I had a Ruffed Grouse fly in front of me.  Saturday morning
my cousin and I got out birding a little bit, but we struck out on the
Gyrfalcon and the Northern Mockingbird.  We did have a Snowy Owl on a
breakwater in the marina (off of Ellis St).

Good birding to all