[wisb] Merlins nesting on our block?!?!?!

  • From: "Dave&Margaret Brasser" <2shebbirders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 19:04:42 -0500

For the past 5 days we have been hearing a "ki-ki-kee" alarm call in the
vicinity of our small backyard.  We searched our 75-foot spruce and the
neighbor's 60-foot pine and the deciduous trees (large and small) in the
surrounding yards, but couldn't find the bird(s) making the calls.  Once we
glimpsed a falcon-like bird zipping through our yard.  Just now we finally got
excellent looks, and were thrilled to find that TWO Merlins are frequenting our
area--a gray-backed male and a brown-backed female!  They took turns perching
in nearby trees, and one even landed on the top of our spruce and sat there
awhile--surveying the neighborhood.  Check the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
website for a recording of the call:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/merlin/sounds.
Dave & Margaret Brasser
Sheboygan