[wisb] Manitowoc & Sheboygan: Little Gulls, Lesser Black-backed; 01 Aug 2014

  • From: "Amar Ayyash" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "amarayyash@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 07:11:47 -0700

Although Bonaparte's numbers have dwindled to about a dozen or so in Manitowoc,
there were still 2 Little Gulls present as of yesterday afternoon (01 Aug
2014). As we were watching one bird through the scope along the east side of
the impoundment, Charles Sontag keenly picked out another one flying over us.
This was a surprise as we were convinced only one lingering bird was present.
It soon joined the other individual for what proved to be great looks. Both are
1st summer birds now sporting "mostly gray" upperparts (see photos).
In Sheboygan, between Deland and North Point parks, Herring numbers were down
to less than 75, but despite this, I recorded 11 Lesser Black-backeds (one 3rd
summer and the rest 1st summers). It seems one of their favorite hang-outs is
the first beach that is south of the North Point parking lot. Most of these
one-year olds are just now beginning to show pale bases to their bills, but
almost all still have pinkish legs.

Photos:
Picasa Web Albums - Amar Ayyash - Manitowoc LIG...

Picasa Web Albums - Amar Ayyash - Manitowoc LIG...
Photos by Amar Ayyash, Aug 1, 2014
View on goo.gl Preview by Yahoo

Thanks,
Amar Ayyash