[wisb] Manitowoc County-1/15/12

  • From: Andrew Reimer <andrew.reimer21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:03:58 -0600

With too much time between church and the Packer game, loaded up the boys
and headed for the Lakeshore to see what we could find.  Best stop was
Point Beach.  At the Rawley's Point Nature Center we watched pairs and
singles of Long-tailed Ducks shuttle up and down the shoreline.  Also
moving about were small flocks of both Common and Red-breasted Mergansers.
But the highlights were 8 White-winged Scoters which came in near-shore and
landed a couple hundred yards out as well as a single Greater Black-backed
Gull circling its way north up the beach.  A good half-mile out on the lake
a cloud of a thousand ducks at least came off the water, moved a short
distance then disappeared into the waves.
Two Rivers and Manitowoc both held lots of birds, but nothing particularly
unusual.  My patience for inpsecting flocks of gulls however, is limited.

Took a shot for the Snowy Owl at Collins on the way home.  Took Hwy. JJ to
Quarry Rd., then circumnavigated the marsh to no avail.  But picked up a
nice variety of other raptors as well a pheasant and turkeys.

Complete list below...

Manitowoc County, WI, US, Manitowoc, US-WI
Jan 15, 2012 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
30.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Point Beach, Two Rivers, Manitowoc, and Collins
Marsh-Manitowoc County
26 species
Canada Goose  30
American Black Duck  6