[wisb] Manitowoc Acadian Flycatchers and Hooded Warblers

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Sixel <kdsixel@xxxxxxx>, Kathy Sixel <kdsixel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:19:23 -0400

Walla Hi County Park is a sizable place of old growth deciduous woods sitting
on top of rugged kettle moraine topography.  The deep kettles of this forest
have always seemed the perfect habitat for Hooded Warblers.  I have come here a
number of times, hoping to hear then, but never had success.  The park is a
great place for Acadian Flycatchers.  If one walks the bridle trails that
follow near the borders of the park, one is quite likely to hear the Acadians.
Yesterday, while birding by bike at Shoe Lake, I met another birder on a
bicycle (of all things!).  He was from Kiel and seemed to have a great
knowledge of the birds in SW Manitowoc County.  He told me where to look for
the Hooded at Walla Hi, which (from legend) is a place the Hooded has nested
for years.  I went to the prescribed location this morning.  I heard nothing!
But this time, for the first time ever at this park, I passed my i-Flyer
scanning wand over the Hooded Warbler song bar code a half dozen times.  And
presto - a male Hooded came forth to defend its territory.  Not wanting to
perturb the resident Hoodeds more than needed, I let it go a this one find.
But how many might actually be found here?  The breeding bird atlas shows the
Hooded nesting only at Point Beach State Park - the remainder of Manitowoc
County is shown as void of this species.  I have forgotten (already!) the name
of the birder who knows about this warbler.  He is on the birdnet.  Perhaps he
could back channel so I might thank him.  He also claims that Cerulean Warblers
can be heard in this same location.  But, for me, that will need to wait for
another day.

   -- Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz