[wisb] Madison Audubon "Shorebirds" trip... eh...

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:15:18 -0500

I put shorebirds in quotes, since we hardly found any this morning in Columbia
and northern Dane Counties.  At Wangsness and Kroncke, there were just a few
Pectorals, one or two Lesser YLs, a couple of Leasts, and Killdeer. Also one or
two Great Egrets and a few Hooded Mergansers.  Harvey and Hwy 60 wasn't much
better, with a few more LYLs. Out of desperation, we went up to Schoeneberg's
Marsh, hoping to see birds of any kind - had a family of Common Moorhens and a
couple of female/immature Yellow-headed Blackbirds.  Two Green Herons and a
couple of Belted Kingfishers were flying around.  We did see several Am.
Kestrels in that general area, and also by Goose Pond, largely due to the many
Kestrel boxes Mark Martin and other volunteers have put up.  Swallows of
several species were flocking up on the wires, including a few Banks.

Goose Pond was pretty dead except for a few common duck species and a flock of
six LYLs that might have flown over from Harvey Rd. - they circled around for a
few minutes and kept going west.  DM & I ponds had several Great Blue Herons, a
couple of Black Ducks in with all the Mallards, and not much else.  County V
between Patton and Schumacher had a flock of Ring-billed Gulls, DC Cormorants,
eight or so Great Egrets, a few GBHs, and a few Black Terns.  Schumacher and
Cuba Valley was pretty dead until several squad cars and an amubulance came
roaring in to tend to a crashed bicycle rider at the intersection (we were
clueless what was happening up the hill. He looked to not be too badly injured,
fortunately.)

Thanks to Quentin Yoerger for coleading & to all who attended, even if we had
more people than shorebirds on the trip!

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.