[wisb] MAS field trip at Lake Farm - my P-report

  • From: "pready tds.net" <pready@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:40:20 -0500

As Peter Fissel mentioned I led a bird trip on Saturday morning at
Lake Farm Co. Park.
Damp but no rain and cool wind off Lk Waubesa, generally dreary but a
nice group of 25 or so enjoyed a couple hours birding.
Always nice to meet new birders when leading these walks. Here is my
P-report (Pat's report).

Canada Goose-several
Wood Duck- 2-4 that most saw
Mallard- who counts them
Blue-winged Teal- a baker's dozen
Northern Shoveler- small flocks here 7 there
Green-winged Teal- cousin to the BW Teal
Bufflehead smattering on Upper Mud Lk
Pied-billed Grebe - swarms on Waubesa
American Coot- way too many!
Sandhill Crane- 2 or 4 or 2 seen 2X?
Killdeer- noticeably absent
Ring-billed Gull- a few
Rock Pigeon - none
Mourning Dove- a few fly bys
Bald eagle - 1 immature teasing some Ring-billed Gulls over Upper Mud
Osprey- 1 nice fly over and circled back to look us over
Great Horned Owl-0 must of been hiding
Red-bellied Woodpecker- didn't even hear one
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker- 2-3 and 1 put on a nice show
Downy Woodpecker-2 in dead trees
Hairy Woodpecker-2 but skiddish
Northern Flicker-heard more than seen
Eastern Phoebe-2 and calling lots
Blue Jay-1?
American Crow-10- 2 may be nesting above Libby Rd.
Tree Swallow- swarms over the water
Black-capped Chickadee-2 dapper ones
Tufted Titmouse- nope
White-breasted Nuthatch- a few on occasion
Brown Creeper- 3 or 4
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 2 working the honeysuckles
Ruby-crowned Kinglet-0
American Robin- numerous and all over in every habitat
European Starling- large flock in short grass
Yellow-rumped Warbler- 2 FOY for many but not me
American Tree Sparrow 1 but I think I was the only one who saw it.
Later Peter F. had 1
Barn Swallow- seen at Lake Farm on Thurs but not Sat. Yes at 9 Springs tho.
Chipping Sparrow-0
Fox Sparrow-0 darn!
Song Sparrow- several and what a beautiful song on a dreary morning
White-throated Sparrow- 0, where were they?
Dark-eyed Junco-0, no feeders
Northern Cardinal- 5 or 6 here, cheer cheer cheer
Red-winged Blackbird- claiming territory all over
Eastern Meadowlark- none yet
Common Grackle- 10- 20 I'm sure
Brown-headed Cowbird- lots skulking high in the trees
House Finch- If so I missed them
American Goldfinch - 4 maybe
House Sparrow - send them back to Europe, please!

Patrick Ready
Stoughton
Dane Co