[wisb] Re: Loon Courtship. Devils Lake

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:47:07 -0500

I hate to say this, but my best guess is that the bird has fishing line
stuck on its wing. notice when it flaps it doesn't really get that left wing
fully extended? Last year in the BW we had an individual on a lake that we
concluded couldn't fly, probably because of line on its feet - it tried to
run and could never quite make it, but the other behavior was that it
appeared to preen a lot. I could very well be wrong, but it doesn't look
quite normal.
Jesse Ellis
Madison

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Tom Schultz <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I don't know for sure, but it looks more like a bathing/preening exercise
> --
> rather than a ritual courtship activity.
>
> Tom Schultz
> Green Lake Co.

Post-doctoral Researcher
Dept. of Zoology