[wisb] Ledge Rd. swans with cygnets

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:34:43 -0500

I also visited the Horicon Marsh today. Saw 1 snowy egret on Hwy 49 and 3
c. gallinules on Auto Tour Loop, both were FOY. Right behind the group of
egrets was a black-crowned night heron trying to eat a bullhead. Missed the
stilt and king rail but on Ledge Rd. on the impoundment before the water
control structure I saw 2 swans with 4 cygnets. They were too far out to
determine head shape or see yellow in front of eyes but am I right in
assuming these are trumpeter swans? They looked way larger than a few
Canada geese there. Also, the young ones are very small, are they called
cygnets even when just days old?
Dave Schrab

Hustisford WI

Dodge Co