[wisb] Least Bittern Sequence

  • From: <dkuecherer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 3:30:04 +0000

Hi:

Each year I like to get one of my favorite birds, the Least Bittern.  At the
right time I can normally go to one of my favorite marshes and at least hear
the Least Bittern.  Getting lucky, I will see one peeking or fly from one area
to another.  Several times I will see it land straddling a couple of reeds and
then disappearing.
....It was high noon when I pulled over next to a reed bed to eat lunch in the
vehicle.  While eating, I saw this Least Bittern peeking through the reeds.  I
put my camera on a window mount and attached the mount to the window.  The
Bittern peeked out again and then gave me a show for about 35-40 minutes.  I
have close to 70 flicks of the Bittern. However, I put together a sequence of
several shots from the Bittern peeking through the reeds to the final success
of the Bittern catching a minnow.  You can see it within it's bill.  I hope you
enjoy the show.
....click on the first Least Bittern in the upper left corner and it will
enlarge.  Then click on "next" at the upper right corner and they will all be
enlarged and you can follow the sequence.

http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/least_bittern

Dennis Kuecherer
Saukville, WI  Ozaukee Cty