[wisb] Lakeshore State Park meadowlark(s)

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 08:33:47 -0800 (PST)

In another posting Betsy Abert said: "I do wonder how or if the 2 meadowlarks
at the Lakefront are surviving with all this snow cover."

I've looked for these birds the last three times I was in Lakeshore State Park
(two trips were before the blizzard). Couldn't relocate the meadowlarks. I was
kinda worried maybe the resident foxes might find them. There are at least two
pairs of foxes (one red, one gray) in an area of only 17 acres. Before the
blizzard there were fox tracks all over the place.

The prairie area has a good amount of snow cover, but the large lawn is pretty
bare. The strong winds of the blizzard must have scoured away the snow. I
imagine the park was a hellacious place to be during the blizzard, what with
nothing to stop the strong winds coming off of the lake.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee