[wisb] Lakeshore State Park: Mergansers, Scaup

  • From: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 23:17:40 -0500

I spent a couple hours at Lakeshore State Park last Saturday.  Ordinarily that
would be a pretty tardy report, but a quick check today showed the same birds
are still around.

To the south between Lakeshore State Park and the mouth of the Milwaukee River,
there are plenty of Red-breasted mergansers.  Out in the harbor, east of the
park, there are hundreds of scaup.

At the bridge on the north entrance to the park, the water is not altogether
froze over.  If you are new to viewing the different duck species, nice views
of scaup are possible here.  I sat below the bridge and while that spooked them
for a few minutes (no difference between that and simply walking across the
bridge), they resumed their wading back and forth.  It paid off since many of
them started diving, bringing up mussles and eating them.  I have a couple
photos.

In addition, I was pleased to see a male Hooded Merganser.  What a beautiful
bird.  The male seemed intent of following a particular scaup.  About 20
minutes later I finally spotted a female.

Today, there was a large flock of gulls out on the water just south of
Discovery World.

Anyhow, if interested, here are some photos of scaup and mergansers including a
couple scaup eating.

Just start with this photo and hit the [older] button until you reach the
juncos or squirrel photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/8496324264/in/photostream

Thanks,
Tom Wright