[wisb] Lake Park, Milwaukee - Five woodpecker day

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:35:29 -0700 (PDT)

Nasty weather for birding along the lakefront. A raw and bone-chilling breeze
coming in off of Lake Michigan. The noise of the surf off of Bradford Beach and
North Point completely muffled the traffic noise on Lincoln Memorial Drive as I
stood at the top of the bluff in Lake Park. The thick cloud cover and poor
light meant that most birds were showing more or less shades of gray. There
were a few tantalizing birds up in the canopy, but they all looked pretty much
alike due to the lighting.

Nevertheless, there were some highlights:

* My first five-woodpecker-day since moving to Milwaukee: Downy, Hairy,
Red-bellied, Flicker, and Sapsucker. Saw ten Flickers.

* Quite a few singing Dark-eyed Juncos. Love their songs! (Do Juncos ever breed
in southeastern Wisconsin?)

* Two Brown Creepers, one singing.

* Lots of Brown-headed Cowbirds. This might be a lowlight instead of a
highlight.

* Robins singing like crazy.

* Quite a few Chipping Sparrows, including a closeup view of one singing
tentatively.

* White-throated Sparrow, singing its beautiful melancholy song. When my son
Zack was in elementary school he could whistle a passable imitation of this
song that would bring White-throated males up close in an agitated state. He
could also do this with Cardinals.

* Eastern Bluebird. Singing beautifully in the parking lot of the Lake Park
Bistro.

* Eastern Towhee. Doing its "Drink your tea" song in the ravine north of the
North Point lighthouse. Love this song...second time in a couple of weeks that
I've heard it in this spot...

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee