[wisb] Lake Park, Milwaukee, 9/2/10 - 8 new BIGBY species

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 15:46:06 -0700 (PDT)

I set out early today on my usual Milwaukee BIGBY route, to cover Bradford
Beach, North Point, and Lake Park. I found eight new BIGBY species (all in Lake
Park), bringing my 2010 Milwaukee walking BIGBY species count to 113. (What's a
BIGBY? See: http://bit.ly/cn3cbv).

North Point looked promising. Shorebirds were flying in over the lake and
landing on the shore. But the flies were so bad I had to abort my mission. If I
stood still for ten seconds the flies would land on me and start to bite. This
is the first problem I've had with biting insects since I started walking this
route on August 3. That's right, I've hardly even seen any mosquitoes.
Hopefully the cooler weather predicted for the AM will deter the flies.

So I moved up the bluff to Lake Park. Flies were a minor annoyance, but nothing
like North Point. I found a spot with no flies (north end of the bridge over
the ravine north of the lighthouse) and stood there for quite a while. Quite a
few warblers were moving through this area. No new BIGBY species, but a number
of birds landed nearby in the top of a sparsely-leafed tree at my eye level
from the bridge. I stood still and had the good fortune to observe several
warbler species so close that I didn't need my binoculars to observe field
marks! Pretty cool.

Here are the new BIGBY birds:

* Winter Wren. Milwaukee walking BIGBY species #106. Never would have noticed
this bird if it hadn't been singing vigorously on the ground underneath the
bushes on the east side of the Warming House. I waited and waited, and my
patience paid off with a view of a small stubby-tailed wren scuttling along at
ground level. Seemed early for a Winter Wren, but then I'm from southern
Indiana. :-)

* Swainson's Thrush. BIGBY #107. One bird. Locust Street Ravine.

* Warbling Vireo. BIGBY #108. One bird. Locust Street Ravine.

* Blue-headed Vireo. BIGBY #109. One bird. Locust Street Ravine.

* Least Flycatcher. BIGBY #110. One bird. Top of lake bluff, south end of park,
where the foxtails are. It was hunting small moths.

* Golden-crowned Kinglet. BIGBY #111. One bird. Same area as Least Flycatcher.
Also interested in small moths. Seems a little early.

* Common Yellowthroat. BIGBY #112. One bird (female). Same area as Least
Flycatcher. Also interested in small moths.

* Song Sparrow. BIGBY #113. One bird. Same area as previous several birds.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee